Saturday, January 22, 2011

Red-Shouldered Hawks

Almost a year ago (February, in fact) I saw two hawks on the dead tree in the park, but didn't have my camera. However, this week... this week I did.

First, on Tuesday last week when we came in late because of the ice and snow, I spotted a hawk flying across River Road into the trees between the creek and the Metro parking lot. I got a couple of nice pictures - including one really lucky shot.

red-shouldered hawk in icy tree

red-shouldered hawk taking off


And then Friday morning as I walked into the park I spotted them - once again, the pair of them and sitting in the same dead tree. They stayed there long enough for me to not only get the distance shot, but some fairly close-up ones. Then they moved off again, and once again one of them (I think the female) moved into a tree close enough for me to get a couple more shots.

What a reward for not getting the day off for snow!

pair of red-shouldered hawks

red-shouldered hawk

red-shouldered hawk

red-shouldered hawk

red-shouldered hawk

(for I and the Birders who are interested, more - and better - shots of this pair are here and here, all from recent days.)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, January 24, 2011 Anonymous Thesis Writing had this to say...

Whenever i see the post like your’s i feel that there are still helpful people who share information for the help of others, it must be helpful for other’s. thanx and good job.

 
At 11:03 AM, January 24, 2011 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I just deleted a comment here, because I can't edit it to get rid of the spam link in it. But first I reproduced it, so I can comment on it:

First, this particular post hardly merits "share information for the help of others", unless those others just need to know what a red-shouldered hawk looks like.

Second, seriously. If you're going to hire someone to write your thesis, at least get someone who has mastered the basics of English syntax and orthography. And I'm not referring to "thanx", either

 
At 3:44 PM, January 24, 2011 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Indeed. But the link isn't really there to get people to follow it and hire them; no one expects people to click the link from your post. It's there for "search engine optimization", to get more links to their site so they show up higher in search results.

 
At 10:56 AM, February 05, 2011 Blogger Larry had this to say...

Great post on my favorite hawk Karen. I adore Red-shouldered Hawks ever since watching a pair through their entire nesting season. I'm sure these two are getting ready to nest in your area. I would follow them closely and find their nest site so you can observe them as they raise their young. What a treat!

Beautiful shots of these raptors too (I followed your link to your other post too).

As for the comment you deleted. These are just spam. I get them all the time and just delete them.

 
At 12:47 PM, February 08, 2011 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Thanks, Larry! (And I know it was spam, I just thought it was funny, and wanted to comment on it.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->