Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Birds

Today was not only a bit of spring - finally getting into the 50s - but also Valentine's Day. And the birds seemed to know it. Though I didn't see the pair of red-shouldered hawks - I expect my clock-schedule and their sun-schedule are out of synch - I did see other pairs. First up, though, one of the three calling male redwinged blackbirds, staking out territory.

redwinged blackbird

Next up, a lone Cooper's hawk that scared the blackbirds (and is probably the juvenile from last fall). Hopefully, there's a mate around somewhere.

Cooper's hawk

Then, several pairs - first, the geese are back - check out that dirty water line!

Canada geese

Then, a pair of mallards.

pair of mallards

And finally, goldfinches! Granted, I'm not sure this is a pair, but there were four in the tree.

two goldfinches

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, February 17, 2011 Blogger Joy K. had this to say...

I loved the water-line detail on the goose. I'm glad you mentioned it--I wouldn't have realized what it was.

 
At 10:46 PM, February 18, 2011 Blogger Larry had this to say...

Nice shot of the Cooper's Hawk and I really like the silhouette of the Red-winged Blackbird.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->